Thursday, February 20, 2014

Crock Pot Tex-Mex Chicken Lettuce Wraps


Hi.
I’m so filled with excitement and anticipation right now, guys! I hardly believe my book is coming out next Tuesday (!!) and, on top of that, we are working around the clock to finish up the ELR redesign! So much good stuff happening around here. I can hardly stand it. Thank you so much for your continued support through all these changes! It means a lot to me.
If you haven’t noticed, I’ve been using my crock pot a lot lately. I think I’ve definitely gotten my $24 of use out of it! {In case you’re wondering, here’s the model that I have, although I purchased mine from Target last year!} I just love it, especially the ease of only having to spend about ten minutes active time preparing a yummy meal to eat later. This time, I wanted to develop a chicken variation of my beef carnitas tacos.
This chicken variation is a bit lighter and healthier than the beef tacos {but still delicious!}. And to lighten things up even more, the spicy chicken mixture is all wrapped up nice and neat in a big ol’ lettuce leaf.
For these, I used boneless skinless chicken breasts. You don’t have to worry about them drying out in the slow cooker, though, because you’re going to cover them with onion, jalapeno and a jar of your favorite salsa! All those juices release during a nice slow cook, giving you perfectly juicy and spicy chopped chicken by the end.
Yum.
You can use the taco seasoning of your choice here! I am very partial to this easy, homemade one by Rachel, though! I made a huge batch of it last week and have been sprinkling it on just about everything since. I bet you have everything you need in your pantry right now to make it….go check!
If not, any ol’ taco seasoning will do just fine.
We loved these spicy lettuce wraps as a light(er) dinner last week. Adam also threw some leftover tex-mex chicken into scrambled eggs for breakfast! The amount of spice in the chicken really depends on the heat in the salsa you choose. If you’re not sure about spice, just omit the jalapeno and use mild salsa.
Then….all that’s left to do is……
wrap it up! wrap wrap wrap it up!
and enjoy.
Crock Pot Tex-Mex Chicken Lettuce Wraps
 serves 4-6

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning
1 jalapeno, seeded and sliced
1 16 oz jar of salsa
1 yellow onion, diced
salt, as needed (I used 1 tsp)
iceberg lettuce leaves for wrapping
Directions:
Sprinkle seasoning all over chicken breasts, then place breasts at the bottom of the slow cooker.
Scatter onion and jalapeno over chicken breasts. Pour salsa over top. Place lid on slow cooker and cook on LOW for 4-5 hours.
After 4-5 hours, remove chicken breasts from slow cooker and chop up. Place chopped chicken back in slow cooker and stir to combine. Season with salt to taste.
To serve lettuce wraps, spread one lettuce leaf out and scoop about 1/4th cup chicken mixture on top. Roll up lettuce leaf and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment